Here are my top five tips for sticking with your workout and fitness goals during vacation:
- Plan ahead. pack workout clothes in your suitcase and research places to workout before you leave for a vacation. Check the weather so you know whether it will be hot or cold weather.
- Make sure you plan time in your day for a workout. For me, this means getting up and working out early – before family festivities begin, it I don’t do this, I know I won’t be able to workout.
- Plan holiday activities that involve exercise that the whole family can do together. Hiking, skiing, snowball fights or biking are all great ideas and burn calories without taking time away from family.
- Use those hours spent in an airport. Time yourself to see how fast you can walk from one end of the airport to the other.
- Don’t stress it if you miss a workout. Just remember to keep up your normal eating routine, don’t binge out on sweets and reschedule your workout for the next day.
Holidays can wreak havoc on a tight workout schedule, but a few days or even a few weeks off may not be that detrimental to your fitness. It might even allow your body to rest and you may come back stronger after the holidays are over.
For some extra motivation sign up for a race or fitness event in January or February to help keep you on track after the holidays are over and help you have a goal to motivate you to stay active.
Do you have any tips to share with me? Send them my way. Happy Training and Merry Christmas!