A reason to play. A reason to be active. It’s a simple statement with no simple answer. Everyone has a different definition. My reason to play is fitness. When I play, I want to play hard and there is no better way to do that than to work hard to become healthy and alive. My reason to get active is the energy it gives me. I feel alive when I am training for any fitness goal. Fitness breeds healthy individuals with a zest for life. What’s your reason?
My name is Karen Poole and I am a Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Running Coach and fitness enthusiast currently living in Ukiah, CA.
I grew up in Salem, Oregon and went on to attend Walla Walla University where I led the collegiate basketball team. A two year starter, Captain and MVP, I earned a degree in Business and Marketing in 2009. My passion for advancing women and sports did not end in college and I continue to motivate and inspire women around the world to challenge themselves through sports with my blog!
I currently work as a Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor and Member Experience Manager at Anytime Fitness. I am a fitness writer for 8fit. I also freelance for Spright. Check out my column, Pound the Pavement! I also co-founded a social fitness movement called W3Move. I started Reason To Play as a way to share my running and fitness journey and to help motivate and inspire others in their fitness journey. I am a former collegiate basketball player and discovered running as a way to stay in shape and challenge myself every day. I have completed three marathons, multiple half marathons and countless 5k’s and 10k’s. In 2012, I achieved my dream of becoming a Black Belt in TaeKwonDo a week before I ran my second marathon!
In 2013, I had the privilege of being the Roseville Athleta Sponsored athlete and Run Club leader and discovered my passion for helping women reach their goals through running. I am focusing on promoting the sport of running to women in my community through my running club, the North Coast Striders, and as an ACE certified personal trainer and RRCA certified running coach. I also hope to grow my blog and connect with like minded men and women around the world! I love introducing women to the sport of running and seeing them grow and become more confident through running.
My blog and community involvement have given me many opportunities to share my love of fitness and a healthy lifestyle. I have worked with various female focused fitness brands over the past few years. The highlight of 2012 occurred when I was selected as an Ambassador for the Nike Women’s Marathon and worked with Nike Women to share my journey on multiple social channels.
I also love promoting women’s fitness through volunteering with Girls on the Run, and as an ambassador for multiple race series – Zooma Run Napa Valley, The San Francisco Marathon, See Jane Run, Esprit de She, and the Pretty Muddy Women’s Mud Run Series.
For a list of my accomplishments and fitness resume please see below:
Degree: BBA in Business Administration – Marketing
- Writer for the 8fit app
- Writer & Running Columnist at Fiterazzi (now Spright) Magazine
- Social Media Strategist: Sacramento Capitals World TeamTennis League 2013
- Marketing Coordinator: Sacramento Capitals World TeamTennis League 2012
- Nike Women Ambassador for Nike Women’s Marathon 2012
- 2013 Athleta Roseville Sponsored Athlete
- High School Girls Basketball Asst. Coach 2012-2013
- FitFluential Ambassador
- Sweat Pink Ambassador
- Feetures! Socks Ambassador 2013-current
- San Francisco Marathon Ambassador 2014
- Nuun Hydration Ambassador 2013 – current
- Pretty Muddy Women’s Mud Run Sacramento Race Ambassador 2013 – current
- See Jane Run Half Marathon Ambassador 2013-current
- Esprit de She Race Ambassador 2013
- Which Running Surface is Right for You via Spright
- PocketFuel Product Review via Spright
- Top 10 Fitness Accounts that Motivate via Fiterazzi Magazine
- Pound the Pavement – weekly column for Fiterazzi Magazine
- The SF marathon Social Running Blog Post
- Pretty Muddy Women’s Mud Run Guest BlogPost
- Interview with The SF Chronicle/SF Gate.
- Interview with Fitness Republic.
- Interview with City Fit Girls.
- ACE Certified Personal Trainer & Group Fitness Instructor: Profile
- Road Runners Club of America Certified Run Coach
- Volunteer with Girls on the Run
- Run Club Leader
- Former college basketball player (captain and mvp)
- Completed first Marathon at the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco 2011
- Half Marathon Runner
- Featured Club Player and in Reader Feedback of Tennis View Magazine
- Top 10 Finisher in the Nike Field Reporter competition (Among Thousands)
- Nike Product Tester (Tennis)
- Featured on the Nike Women Facebook Page
- Featured on the Nike Women Blog January 24, 2012
- Interviewed about the Nike+ Half-Marathon on the Nike Women Blog January 9, 2012
- Featured on the Nike Women Blog November 15, 2011
- Black Belt Taekwondo Competitor
- Member of USTA Tennis League
- CPR Certified
- Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Certified
- Former Fit Model with Sports Unlimited Talent Agency
Leave me a message or a comment on my blog, I’d love to hear from you!